Friday, September 3, 2010

Question 1

I hear subjective claims all the time. I was recently talking to a friend about music. He asked me if I liked an album as much as he did. The album is called the Minstrel Show by Little Brother. He said it was one of the best albums of all time and i agreed with him, because I felt like it was the best albums of all time. I said it was in my top 3 albums of all time. Though I believe it's a very good album it's subjective from person to person. Another person could quite possibly hate it.

An objective claim I recently heard was I that San Jose State has 30,000 students. I don't know if this is accurate or totally true, but it seems like it makes sense. It's a claim that we can easily verify as true or false. I also heard at the bookstore that San Jose State graduates 6,000 students every year. That is also an objective claim because it's easily verifiable.

P.S.
I did a little math in my head it takes 30,000 students 5 years to graduate.

GOB

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how common objective and subjective claims are, and how much we use both of them in our everyday lives. Obviously you don't go around saying "Hey I made an objective claim today." but we hear them and use them everyday. I think you gave two really good examples to help clarify the difference between these two claims. I also found it interesting to read about SJSU and how many people graduate each year. That's pretty crazy knowing that it takes 30,000 students 5 years to graduate. Especially because when I was younger, I used to just assume that it only took 4 years of college and you were done. It never occurred to me that it might take some people longer!

    ReplyDelete