Saturday, September 11, 2010

Week 2 Question 2

Strong and Valid Arguments are not the same thing. I thought they were the same until reading the text.

Valid - a valid argument just means the conclusion can't be false if the premise is false. The argument might not be possible at all, but it's still valid. For example I was talking to a friend the other day about major changes at school. He said they didn't accept his major change because his GPA was below a 3.0. Therefore all people switching majors from this point on will need a atleast a 3.0 to change majors. Is it true? Quite possible, but I haven't checked. According to my friend can the scenario he set up have a false conclusion with a true premise. No.

Strong - A strong argument is one that seems plausible. It's pretty much if you can believe it or not. A friend yesterday told me that one of our friends is pregnant. He has no proof to back this up, but I believe it could be true because this particular is careless in her sexual activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment