Sunday, September 5, 2010

Question 3

I know I'm late on posting this, but even if i don't get the credit I'll do it anyways. I want to talk more about vague sentences. Earlier I posted that I am guilty of vague sentences. I would like to try to make a commitment to not making vague sentences any longer. A teacher of mine recently had a discussion with the class on vague sentences. She felt that sometimes minimum word counts were to blame for vague sentences. I totally agree with her statement. It's hard writing an essay with a certain word count. Sometimes even the best of us can't manage 2000 words about a specific topic. That is why students are forced to do essays with vague topics and thesis statements, because we're so afraid of looking like idiots when we can't fill up the pages.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your statement. Nowadays, teachers in college are expecting students to write 1600 word papers on something that they are learning at the moment. But what i find interesting is that some teachers come up with vague ideas that the students seemed to be puzzled. Being a college student, i know how people get when they run out of things to talk about in an essay. In my opinion, i think that this happens because there is no explanation to it when the idea can be explained in one vague sentence. Overall, i think that you made a great point, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete