Friday, October 8, 2010

Question 2 Chapter 7

Refuting an Argument

Directly:

directly refuting an arguement is pointing out on thing in a persons logic that is invalid or weak. If i were talking about how walking more causes more pollution than driving then I would expect somebody to call me an idiot. They could point to that simple point and say that it doesn't make any sense that a person pollutes less than the machine that that person operates which sends tons of pollutants in the air.

Indirectly:

I'm not that smart of a person, but if I said I got into Harvard a lot of people would doubt me. I mean they know I have less than Harvard quality grades, but they can't figure out why I'm wrong. I might be telling the truth even though I'm not. that is an indirect version of refuting. It's not believing somebody though you can't point directly at my argument and say anything negative about it. My argument isn't very plausible so therefore they dismiss it as a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment