Thursday, November 11, 2010

Question 1 Example Reasoning

Reasoning by analogy

Michael Jordan was a great player

Great players never switch teams

Lebron isn't a great player.

Sign Reasoning

Is your body feeling hot? Do you have a headache and Body aches? Vomiting?

If you answered yes you probably have the flu.

Casual Reasoning

I lost my keys. I retraced my steps and I couldn't find them. I went everywhere except my classroom its probably in there.

Reasoning by Criteria

get a good SAT score? whats "good"? enough so that the colleges will except you.

Reasoning by example

Don't eat a burger king their food got me sick last week so their food isn't safe.

Inductive

All blankets are warm

I bought a new blanket

It must be warm

Deductive

Garbage was picked up every wednesday

Garbage will be picked up this wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Gob,

    I like the everyday examples that you used in your post. They made sense and cleared up most of the questions I was still unsure about from the reading we were assigned this week. However I think that you mixed up the definitions for inductive reasoning with deductive reasoning. I think that your example: All blankets are warm, I bought a new blanket,It must be warm would work better for deductive reasoning instead and your example: garbage was picked up on every wednesday, therefore the garbage will be picked up this wednesday. Inductive reasoning is used when we assume something will happen due to constant pattern for example, the sun rises every morning therefore it will rise tomorrow morning. We cannot be sure that this will happen because we cannot predict the future and nothing about it is 100% certain. Your blanket example is more of a deductive reasoning because both the premises and the conclusion must be true. But otherwise you other examples were easy to relate to.

    ReplyDelete