Saturday, November 13, 2010

Question 3 Reasoning By Analogy

Probably my most used form of reasoning even though I use it in dumb ways, is reasoning by analogy. I always try to draw parallels to things that have no correlation with the other thing whatsoever. I like how people compare LeBron James to Michael Jordan. The two players are from different places, they are from different times, and they aren't the same person. Michael Jordan is not dead and reincarnated in LeBron people need to get over that. So when people make the argument that Jordan would have never switched teams in the middle of his career like LeBron that doesn't make much sense. LeBron is a grown man who does whatever he likes not following Jordans every footstep. I'm sorry for the sports reference, but it was a good one in my opinion. I use analogy a lot in my reasoning, but as we see from this example bad analogies make for very bad reasoning. just because somethings are in common sometimes doesn't mean you can follow the same path every time. Each time is a different situation. It's like a fingerprint everybody has their own.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, let me just say that I LOVED this post. I seriously said "THANK YOU!" out loud to my computer when I read this lol. But I agree with you and I admit I am guilty of doing the same thing and using reasoning by analogy to win an argument. Also, me being a LeBron fan, I can definitely agree with you on everything that you said, and it's actually a perfect example of this concept, so good job. A lot of times people are so focused in the comparison and the analogy, that they don't realize it's a bad argument, and that there are more factors that come into play, it's not just black and white.

    ReplyDelete