Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reasoning by Criteria

Reasoning by criteria didn't make much sense to me at first reading it. Even after going online for a while i didn't really get it. Maybe my mind was wondering or maybe I wasn't paying attention the first time. Well now reading it again today it makes way more sense. Reasoning by criteria just means that we set up the criteria for reasoning. It's all about defining what we want to get in an outcome. For example I hate when a teacher says just write a good paper. What does that mean? Serious a good paper for one teacher isn't the same for another. Every English teacher since 7th grade has been different than the others in terms of grading and style so I get so irritated and confused. I want a teacher to say. "I want your to write a good paper that has effective sentences, a lot of vocabulary, and hits the target well. The paper should be as neat as possible with very few mistakes in grammar and spelling." If teachers told me this maybe I'd be more prepared to write better essays in class. This is reasoning with criteria just explain a bit more and set up a criteria for words like good, great, effective.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you that reasoning by criteria can be a bit confusing at first. To me it is definitely something that I come across many times during the day but I never really think about it. I think that to understand this kind of reasoning I think one needs to understand the "desire" outcome first. To be able to reason by criteria, one needs to understand what are the "desire" outcomes are and than judge the "real" outcome. For example, one might want a cold drink. The criteria is "cold." However, the word "cold" is used very vaguely in this sense. So, the word "cold" might need to be more specific to be able to make a good argument.

    ReplyDelete